- For hardening cotton seeds, seed to solution ratio of 1:1.5 (w/v) for G.hirsutum
and 1:1.65 (w/v) for G. arboreum and G.herbacem cotton with the soaking
duration of 8 hours are optimum.
- Hardening in 1.0% KCl solution conferred better germination and speed of germination
- Seed hardening with prosopis (0.5%) and pungam (1.0%) leaf extracts significantly
increased field emergence, dry matter production and plant height seed cotton and
- Cotton MCU 7 fuzzy seeds pelleted with finely powdered arappu leaf powder 100 g
+ finely powdered DAP 40 g + micronutrient mixture 15 g /kg of seed using 5.0%
maida solution as adhesive (300 ml/kg) improved germination, seedling growth, vigour
index and field emergence under rice fallow situation.
- Delinted cotton seeds when coated using polymer @ 5 ml/kg found optimum and this
improved germination of 5-7 %.
- Simple coating of polymer @ 5 ml/kg or polymer with carbendazim @ 2 g/kg or polymer
@ 5 ml/kg + carbendazim @ 2 g/kg + imida cloprid @ 5g/ kg increased the germination
and seedling vigour.
- Seed treatment with imida clorpid @ 5 g/kg alone or coated with polymer @ 5 ml/kg
+ carbendazim @ 2 g/kg is effective in control of sucking pests up to 45 days of
- LRA 5166 cotton seeds (delinted) treated with neem leaf powder @ 10 g/kg and Surabhi
seeds (delinted) treated with neem kernal powder @ 10 g/kg improved seed quality
and stored well in paper bag under ambient condition for 32 months.
- In TCB 209 cotton soil application of zinc sulphate (50 kg/ha) or foliar sprays
thrice @ 0.5% on 70, 90, and 110 DAS or application of zinc sulphate (50 kg/ha)
with Borax (10 kg/ha) significantly increased number of flowers/plant high pollen
productivity and viability.
- Delinted cotton seeds of varieties Anjali, Surabhi, LRA5166, and AKH4, stored at
40%, 60%, 80% relative humidity for eight months under ambient condition declined
viability progressively with steady increase in seed moisture content, free fatty
acid, electrical conductivity of seed leachate, free sugars.
- Sequential foliar application of seed crop with DAP 2 %, MgSO 4 1 %, Boron 0.1 %
ZnSO 4 2 % at 45, 50, 60, 75 days after sowing, enhanced seed cotton yield with
high seed quality.
- Detopping of LRA 5166 seed crop at 120 days followed by spraying of ethrel @ 450
g a.i./acre at 160 days after sowing reduced plant height, increased bolls number,
boll weight, seed cotton yield and seed yield.
- In cotton variety Sumangala field emergence improved significantly (4 % - 7%) of
due to soaking of seed in 0.2% succinic acid solution.
- Soaking of cotton seeds in 0.2% succinic acid before sowing fallowed by foliar application
of NAA @ 10 ppm on 60 and 75 days of seed crop is beneficial for the production
of high quality cotton seeds.
- In Savita hybrid seed production programme soaking female parent seeds in 0.2 %
succinic acid for six hours before sowing and hand pollination up to five weeks
from flower initiation with simultaneous application of 0.1 % Boron @ 60 DAS, 1
% MgSO 4 at 75 DAS or application of 0.1 % Boron on 60, 75 & 90 DAS was found
suitable for production of hybrid seed with quality.
- For Distinctiveness, Uniformity and Stability testing of Cotton genotypes a draft
National Test Guidelines for Diploid and Tetraploid cotton species were formulated.
- A database on extant varieties, farmers varieties and varieties of common knowledge
- One National training on DUS Test in cotton with reference to PPV&FR Legislation,
2001 was conducted
- 12 .Comparison of performance of model bulk, superior bulk and ordinary bulk of
plants selected from progenies
- In LRA5166 and Sumangla pooled seeds of single plants to form superior bulk, model
bulk and ordinary bulk were compared with breeder seed. In case of LRA 5166, the
model bulk performed equally with superior bulk and breeder seed. In case of Sumangala
superior bulk performed well than model and ordinary bulk.
- Application of DAP @ 2 %, Boron @ 0.6 Kg/ha, Zinc @ 0.5% marginally improved seed
quality when applied individually on 70 , 90 and 110 days, respectively. However,
when applied simultaneously on the same duration, the improvement is significant.
- The best sequence of coating/ pelleting for delinted Anjali cotton seed is Polymer
3 g + Thiram 2 g + Gypsum 20 g + Micronutrient 10 g + Imida cloprid 7 g + DAP 20
g in five layers, one above the other.
- The genetic purity testing of cotton hybrids and parental lines by profiling of
seed protein globulin through SDS - PAGE of salt soluble proteins found suitable.
The electrophoresis analysis for two hybrids Suyra and DHH11 using salt soluble
globulins expressed polymorphic bands of proteins are useful for varietal characterization
- Studies on viability vigour and longevity of cotton seeds
- Preparation for Implementation of PPV & FR Legislation, 2001 and DUS testing
of Cotton through ICAR-SAU System
1. Developing National Test Guidelines,
2. To equip and strengthen designated Centers
3. Development and digitalization of database
- National Seed Project (Crops)
- Genetical studies on cotton seed with particular reference to germination and dormancy
- Development of extra long staple G.barbadense varieties with improved fibre
- Seed Production in Agricultural Crops and Fisheries (Mega Seed Project)
List of publications
- Rathinavel, K . (1990) Studies on the association between seed size/density and
seed quality attributes of papaya ( Carica papaya L.). The Punjab Horticultural
Journal . 30(1-4): 134-139.
- Ramawatar Meena, K. Rathinavel and Phundan Singh (1992). Seed development and maturation
in upland ( Gossypium hirsutum L.) and tree ( G.arboreum ) cottons.
Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences . 64(2): 111-113.
- Ramawatar Meena, K. Rathinavel and Phundan Singh (1993). Measures of planting seed
quality in Diploid and tetraploid cottons. Journal of cotton research and development
. 7(1): 146-148.
- Rathinavel, K. and J. A. Selvaraj (1996).Studies on testing medium and pre sowing
treatment of papaya ( Carica papaya L.) seeds. Haryana Journal of Horticultural
Sciences . 25(1): 5-9.
- Rathinavel, K. and J. A. Selvaraj (1997). Studies on the effect of seed treatment
and storage containers on viability of papaya seed. Haryana Journal of Horticultural
Science . 26(3-4): 164-169.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam. (1998). A model to predict the storability of
cotton seeds ( Gossypium sp .). Neo Botanica . 6 (1 & 2): 63-74.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam (1999). Comparative efficacy of seed treatments
on the maintenance of viability and vigour in cotton ( Gossypium hirsutum
L.). Neo Botanica . 7(1): 7-18.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam (1999). Effect of seed pelleting on elite seedling
production in cotton cv. MCU7 ( Gossypium hirsutum L.). Crop Research .
18 (1): 137-141.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam. (1999). Effect of Iodine treatment on the control
of seed deteriration in cotton ( Gossypium sp. L.) Gujarat Agricultural
Research Journal . 25(1): 35-43.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam (1999). Optimization of seed hardening treatment
for cotton cv. LRA5166 ( Gossypium hirsutum L.). Journal of cotton Research
and Development . 13(1): 22-25.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam and S. Paneer selvam (1999).Effect of micronutrient
on the productivity and quality of cotton seed cv.TCB 209 ( Gossypium barbedense
L.). The Madras Agricultural Journal . 86 (4-6): 313-316.
- Rathinavel, K. and C. Dharmalingam (1999) Seed hardening to augment the productivity
of cotton cv.LRA 5166 (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Madras Agricultural Journal
. 86 (1-3): 68-72.
- Meena, R. A. , K. Rathinavel , R. K. Deshmukh & O. P. Tuteja. (1999). Storage
potential of tetraploid and diploid cottons under ambient conditions. Seed Research
. 27(1): 125-127.
- Rathinavel, K . and C. Dharmalingam (2000). Up gradation of seed quality by hardening
cum halogenation in uppam cotton. Advances in plant Sciences . 13(1): 185 -190.
/ (or) Seed Research 28 (1):5-9
- Rathinavel, K . and C. Dharmalingam and S.Paneer selvam (2000). Effect of seed pelleting
on the productivity of rice fallow cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) cv. MCU7.
Advances in plant Sciences . 13(1): 213-217. / (or) 1999 PKV Research Journal 23
- Rathinavel, K . and C. Dharmalingam. (2001). Efficacy of seed treatment on storability
of cotton seeds and seedling vigour. Journal of Tropical Agriculture. 39 (2): 128-133.
- Rathinavel, K . and C. Dharmalingam (2002).Effect of chlorination treatment on the
control of seed deterioration in cotton ( Gossypium sp.). Indian Journal
of Agricultural Research . 36(1): 17-23.
- Rathinavel. K ., P. Chidambaram, K. Natarajan, S. Manickam & K. Venugopal. (2002).
Effect of sowing time on production and quality of cotton hybrid seed. Proceedings
of XI National Seminar on Quality Seed to Enhance Agricultural Profitability , Jan'
18-20, 2002 pp: 12-17.
- Raja, K., K. Rathinavel and P. Selvaraju. (2003). Volatile compounds released from
seeds - A Review. Journal of Phytological Research . 16(2): 157-162
- Srinivasan,G; Natarajan,K; Babu,S; Rathinavel,K . (2003) Influence of time of sowing
on the infestation of stem weevil in cotton. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences.
- Rathinavel, K . K. Raja, P. Chidambaram and N. Gopalakrishnan. (2004). Seed soaking
and foliar application of Hormones and nutrients for enhancement of productivity
and quality of cottonseed. Journal of Agricultural Resource management , 3 (1):
- Rathinavel, K . C. Umadevi and K. Raja. (2004). Control of seed deterioration in
cotton genotypes-how? Journal of Phytological Research . 17(2):129-134.
- Rathinavel, K ., K. Raja, P. Chidambaram and K. Natarajan (2005). Effect of relative
humidity levels on physiological and Biochemical changes in cotton seed during storage.
International Journal of Tropical Agriculture . 23 (1-4): 61-70.
- Dhamayanthi,K.P.M. and K.Rathinavel . (2006). Seed germination and vegetative propagation
studies in wild cotton ( Gossypium spp .) Journal of Cotton Research and
- Rathinavel, K . (2007). Enhancement of hybrid cotton ( Gossypium hirsutum
L.) seed yield and quality through parental crop management. Indian Journal of Agricultural
Sciences 77 (1): 21-27.
- Rathinavel, K . and C.Dharmalingam. (1998). Seed Hardening in cotton. Science Express
. 19 th Oct. 1998. P.4.
- Ramamoorthy, K., K. Rathinavel and R. Venkatasamy. (2001) Kapas Marketing Sthithi
oour neethiya keth oour bazar Jan-March, 2001 Pp.29-33.
- Rathinavel, K . (2001). Quality seed production in cotton. In: Recent techniques
and participatory approaches on quality seed production. (Eds: K. Vanangamudi et
al.,). Department of Seed Science & Technology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University,
Coimbatore. Pp. 289-296.
- Rathinavel, K . and K. Raja. (2002). Cotton cultivation techniques (In Tamil). Valarum
Velanmai . 28 (10): 13-21.
- Rathinavel, K. and K. Raja. (2003). Seed quality enhancement methods in cotton (In
Tamil). Nilavazham. Pp. 9 - 11 November 2003 . Published by TamilNadu State Co-operative
Agricultural and Rural Development Bank, 79-80, Luz church street, Mylapore, Chennai-600
- Rathinavel, K ., T. P. Rajendran, K. N. Gururajan and K. Natarajan. (2004). Prospects
of cotton cultivation in Tamil Nadu (In Tamil). Soviner: Rajapalayam Cotton Market
Association , 147-D, T.P.Mills road, Rjapalayam, Tamil Nadu.
- Rathinavel, K . and N.Gopalakrishnan. 2006. Extension of shelflife of cotton seeds
through polymer coating.Cental Institute for Cotton Research, Nagpur, News letter.
XXII (3):5 Sept- Dec.2006.
Paper presented in seminar/conference
- Rathinavel, K . and C. Dharmalingam. (1998) Effect of halogen treatment on the control
of seed deterioration in cotton (Gossypium sp L.). X National seed seminar on seed
technology developments:challenges for 21 st century at CCS HAU, Hissar. 17-19 Dec.1998.
- Venugopal, K., K. N. Gururajan, K. Rathinavel and K. N. Gopalakrishnan (1998) Crop
improvement review and suggestions for seed research in cotton. Paper presented
at XIII Annual group meeting of National seed project (crops) held at university
of mysore, Mysore, May 2-4, 1998 .
- Natarajan, K. K. Venugopal. K. Rathinavel and S. Babu (2000). The Transgenic cotton
prospect and problems, Paper presented in the National Conference on the recent
trends in biotech and bio control approches of the new millennium held at IICT Hyderabad,
18-20 July, 2000.
- Rathinavel, K , P. Chidambaram, K. Natarajan, S. Manickam and K. Venugopal. 2002.
Effect of sowing time on production and quality of cotton hybrid seed. Paper presented
in "XI th National Seed Seminar On Quality Seed to Enhance Agricultural Profitability"
at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, January 18 to 20, 2002.
- Venugopal, K., K. Rathinavel , K. N. Gururajan and N. Gopalakrishnan. (2002). Cotton
crop improvement and seed research Prospects and perspectives Paper presented at
17 th Annual Group Meeting of NSP (Crops) organised at ANGRAU, Hyderabad, March
- Venugopal, K., K. Rathinavel , K. N. Gururajan and N. Gopalakrishnan (2002). Choice
of cotton varieties and hybrids for sustainable cotton production in Andhra Pradesh
Paper presented in round table conference organized by m/s Syngenta on 27 &28.3.2002
at CRIDA, Hyderabad.
- Rajendran, T. P., K. Rathinavel and Phundan Singh (2004) Crop improvement and extension
of seed research in cotton. Paper presented at XIX Annual Group Meeting of NSP (Crops)
organised at PAU, Ludhiana, March 1-3, 2004 .
- Manickam, S., K. Rathinavel , K. Raja and K. N. Gururajan. (2004). Cultivation of
F2 cotton in India- A boon or bane? Proceedings of the International Symposium on
"Strategies for Sustainable Cotton Production - A global Vision" 1. Crop Improvement
held at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad - 580 005 from 23-25 November
- Rathinavel, K ., K.Natarajan, K.Raja & P.Chidambaram (2005). Polymer and Pesticide
coating on cottonseed improves viability vigour and longevity. Paper presented in
National Seminar on Plant Physiology: Physiological basis of Agricultural, Horticultural
and Medicinal Plants Productivity held from December 27 to 29, 2004 at the Department
of Botany, University of Pune, Pune-411 007.
- Gururajan,K.N.and K.Rathinavel (2007) Distinction Uniformity and Stability Testing
in Cotton. Presented in the Training Programme on DUS Testing-Principles and Procedures
7-14 February, 2007 at the Dept. Seed Science and Technology, ANGRAU, Hyderabad
- Manickam, S, K.Rathinavel , K.N.Gururajan and N.Gopalakrishnan. 2007. DUS testing
in cotton - A mechanism for protection of plant breeders and Farmers Rights. National
Seminar on "Environmental Biotechnology: Opportunities and Challenges" February
22 and 23, 2007. Department of Zoology and Microbiology, Thiagarajar College, madurai
- 625 009
- Rathinavel, K ., S.Usha Rani and N.Gopalakrishnan. 2007. Cotton Seed Production
- Problems perspectives and technological advancements. Status paper presented in
the Workshop on share your experiences in seed production, Marketing, trading, IPR
and its implementation Organized by ICAR regional Committee No.VIII, Sugarcane Breeding
Institute, Coimbatore -641007on 28.4.2007
- Manickam, S., K. Rathinavel & K. N. Gururajan (2003). Cotton, Nucleus and Breeder
Seed Production Manual, Published by Project Coordinator (Cotton Improvement) Central
Institute for Cotton Research, Regional Station, Coimbatore-641 003.
- Rathinavel. K . , S. Manickam and M. Sabesh (2005). Training Manual on DUS Test
in Cotton with reference to PPV&FR legislation, 2001 , 19 th to 25 th January
2005. All India Coordinated Cotton Improvement Project, Central Institute for Cotton
Research, Regional Station, Coimbatore - 641 003.P. 201
- Rathinavel, K ., S.Manickam, K.N.Gururajan, R.K.Deshmukh and V.Shanthy. 2006. Draft
National Test Guidelines for the conduct of DUS test of Cotton ( Gossypium
spp.) Central Institute for Cotton Research, Regional Station, Coimbatore.pp.40.
- Venugopal, K., K. Rathinavel , S. Manickam & K. N. Gururajan. (2003) Hybrid
seed production in cotton . In: Hybrid Seed Production in Field Crops. Ed. N.C.Singhal.
Kalyani Publishers, 1/1, Rajinder Nagar. Ludhiana, India.pp. 137-162.
- Rathinavel, K . (2005) Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights act, 2001
and DUS test - an over view. In: Training Manual on DUS Test in Cotton with reference
to PPV&FR legislation, 2001, 19 th to 25 th January, 2005. (Eds. K. Rathinavel,
S. Manickam and M. Sabesh) Pp. 59-67.
- Rathinavel, K . (2005) Conduct of DUS Test in Cotton: Planting material, duration,
plant population, experimental design, method and observations . In: Training Manual
on DUS Test in Cotton with reference to PPV&FR legislation, 2001, 19 th to 25
th January, 2005. (Eds. K. Rathinavel, S. Manickam and M. Sabesh) Pp. 68 -77.
- Rathinavel,K . (2006). Quality seed production in cotton. In: Recent techniques
and participatory approaches on quality seed production. (Eds K. Vanangamudi et.
al.,) Kalyani Publishers, B-1/1292, Rajinder Nagar, Ludhiana-141 008.
- Rathinavel, K . and K. Raja. (2006). H ardening and pelleting in cotton . In: Seed
hardening, pelletinRathinavel, K . and K. Raja. (2006). H ardening and pelleting
in cotton . In: Seed hardening, pelleting and coating. Principles and Practices.
(Eds. K. Vanangamudi, K.Natarajan, T.Saravanan, R.Renuka, N.Natarajan, R.Umarani,
A.Bharathi. Satish Serial Publishing House, New Delhi – 110 033 Pp. 353-359