Dr. Ramavatar Meena, Principal Scientist
|Qualification||Ph.D - Seed Technology
Thesis title : Genetic Studies on Various Seed Quality Parameters in Upland Cotton.
|Years of experience||25 years|
Office: Central Institute for Cotton
Research, Regional Station, Sirsa
(Haryana) INDIA. 125055 Office Tel. No.: 01666-220428, Office Fax No.: 01666-230271 Home: Type IV, Residential colony,
Central Institute for Cotton Research, Regional Station, Sirsa (Haryana)
INDIA. 125055 Tel. No.:01666-233672
|Degree/Diploma||Year||Name of the University/|
|B.Sc||1980||Rajasthan University, jaipur||Physics, Chemistry, Biology|
|M.Sc||1983||Rajasthan University, jaipur||Botany, Specilisation Seed Technology|
|Ph.D||1998||DBRA University, Agra||Botany ( Seed Technology)|
|Name of the Office/ Organization||
Year From .....To ....
|CICR, Regional Station, Sirsa, (ICAR)|
27-02-1986 to 26-02-1994
|CICR, Regional Station, Sirsa, (ICAR)|
Scientist Senior Scale
27-02-1994 to 30-11-1998
|CICR, Regional Station, Sirsa, (ICAR)|
1-12-1998 to 30-11-2006
|CICR, Regional Station, Sirsa, (ICAR)|
1-12-2006 to Conti.
- Foundation course in Research Management, NAARM, Hyderabad, November 25, 1986 to April 16, 1987.
- Seed Technology training at IARI, New Delhi form 4th April to 16th April 1988.
- Electrophoresis training for varietal identification at IARI, New Delhi from 11th Jan. 1993 to 21 st Jan. 1993.
- Human Resource Development in Plant Genetic Resources Management Training in Team of Excellence Mode under NATP at NBPGR, New Delhi from August 13th to September 6th 2003.
- National training programme on ?Molecular evaluation of cotton? from 1st june to 7th june 2005 organized by Biotechnology Section, CICR, Nagpur.
- National training programme on ?Dus Test in Cotton with reference to PPV & FR legislation, 2001? from 19th to 25th January 2005 organized by AICCIP at CICR, Regional Station Coimbatore.
Major contributions during professional career
- Developed GMS based desi cotton (G. arboreum) hybrid CISAA 2 as Principal Investigator which was released through central varietal released committee, Ministry of Agriculture (GOI) for cultivation under entire north zone in 2005 with Notification No. 17-9/2006-SD.IV dated 06.02.07. It is high yielding, moderately resistant to fusarium wilt and have shattering resistant properties.
- Developed as CO PI intra-hirsutum hybrid (i) Om Shankar, Notification No. 17-85/97-SD.IV (ii) hybrid CSHH 198, Notification no. 122(E) dated 02.02.2005 (iii) hybrid CSHH 243, Notification no. S.O. 1108 (E) dated 08.05.2008 (iv) hybrid CSHH 238, Notification No. 122(E) dated 06.02.2007 (v) desi cotton variety CISA 310, Notification no. S.O.211 (E) dated 29.01.2010 . These cultivars released through central varietal released committee, Ministry of Agriculture (GOI) for cultivation under entire north zone.
- Standerised cotton hybrid seed production technology for North Zone :
- The suitable crossing period noticed from 10th August to 30th September with respect to highest number of flowers available for pollination (average 10-15 flowers per day per plant), highest cross boll setting percentage (34.9 to 45.5 %), highest seed setting % (84-89%) and superior seed quality (germination 82-85%) .
- The flower number per plant and seed setting increased with wider spacing (67.5 X 120 cm). The cross boll set after 4th October failed to open as the temperature in this zone goes down at the time of their maturity .
- The presowing seed soaking in succinic acid 0.2 % and foliar application of Boron 0.1 % at 60, 75, 90 DAS found suitable with respect to hybrid seed yield as well as seed quality.
- At initial stage (up to 25th August) by pollinating with one male flower up to 7- 8th pollinated female flower set but at late phase only up to 4 pollinated flower in G. hirsutum hybrids set. At this stage in desi hybrid no cross boll setting was observed.
- In case of injury on ovary during emasculation the setting percentage of cross boll is almost negligible .
- During day time higher cross boll setting percentage (36-38 %) observed upto 12 Noon , after that it gradually declined.
- Standarized cotton varietal seed production technology:
- The superior seed quality observed in second picking followed by seed of first picking with respect to seed index, germination percentage, vigour index.
- The cotton seed reached at physiological maturity after 55-60 DAA with respect to high germination and vigour and low moisture content.
- Much higher yield can be obtained by topping of cotton plant at 60 DAS and defoliant sprayed at 140 DAS.
- The seeds when graded after delinting by removing the floated seed, much improvement in germination and vigour index of seed lot can be achived.
- Using 140 ml acid for G. hirsutum and 125 ml for G. arboreum varieties, the delinting of one kg. seed completed in 3-3.5 minutes. .
- The storage behaviour of G. hirsutum, G. arboreum, G. barbadence and G. hebaceum are assessed and noticed that the germination above certification in tetraploid species upto 18 months and diploid species upto 15 months under room condition can be maintained.
- Effect of environment on seed quality studied and noticed that under north zone condition, the higher yield and quality of seed noticed in varieties recommended for this zone. In other zones varieties these parameters are poor.
- The seed setting efficiency in G. hirsutum, G. arboreum, G. barbadence and G. herbaceum studied and superior lines identified.
- True to the type progenies of the parents of released cotton hybrids were identified to maintain the yield potential and fibre properties of each hybrid. These being used for nucleus seed production
- In G. hirsutum and G. arboreum variety the field emergence and yield was higher in seed lot of higher seed index and seedling vigour.
- Among the various pre sowing seed treatments, the higher germination observed with KNO3 100mM (81%) with imidacloprid and vitavax followed by DAP 1% with imidacloprid and vitavax (79%). The yield per plant, GOT, seed index, boll weight and boll number were also higher in seed treated with these chemicals.
- The plant stand was maintained highest when 15 days old seedling were transplanted in G. hirsutum and G. arboreum cultivars. The plant stand declined when age of the seedling was more.
- Economics of Hybrid Seed Production: The economics of hybrid seed production in Northbased on GMS system the net profit Rs 74410 per acre observe.
- Screened superior lines for all the valuable properties from National germplasm of G. hirsutum and G. arboreum species.
- Principal Investigator: Studies on seed technological aspects of hybrid and varietal seed production under north zone (1999- 2005).
- Principal Investigator: Collection, evaluation, conservation and maintenance of genetic resources (1993 to 2008).
- Principal Investigator: Technology to enhance the better crop establishment and yield in cotton (2007-2011).
- Co-Principal Investigator: Institute net working project on germplasm
- Multi location evaluation of cotton genetic resources.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Development of varieties and hybrids of medium staple length in Gossypium arboretum.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Development of G. hirsutum cultivars with high fibre strength suitable for high speed spinning.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Studies on Cotton Leaf Curl Virus disease and development of varieties and hybrids for its management.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Genetic studies on cotton seed with particular reference to germination and dormancy.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Effect of defoliants on physiological parameters and seed cotton yield under AICCIP (2007-2010).
- External Projects handled :
- Principal Investigator: Promotion of cotton varietal and hybrid seed production technology at village level to improve farmers livelihood in North Zone ?Funded by Sir Ratan Tata Trust Mumbai (2009-2010).
- Co-Principal Investigator: Maintenance breeding, seed production and marker based purity evaluation under TMC MM 1.5 (2001-2003).
- Identification of innovative Bt. Cotton based cropping system under irrigated conditions. TMC 2.2 (2007-2011).
- Co-Principal Investigator: Maintenance of Nucleus and Breeder seeds TMC ? MM. II from 2002 to Cont.
- Co-Principal Investigator: National Seed Project (i) standardization of seed pelleting/coating with Polymers (Polyloc and polykot) (ii) economics of hybrid seed production (iii) pre-sowing seed treatment (iv) comparison between grow out test and electrophoresis (2007-2012).
- Principal Investigator: Mega seed Project, Directorate of seed research.
- R.A. Meena, D. Monga, O.P. Tuteja and S.Mahala (2003) Hybrid cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) seed production technology for northern India Indian J. Agric. Sci. 73 (9): 515-7.
- R.A. Meena, M.N. Mishra and R.G. Dani (1999) Effect of storage container on seed longevity in cotton (G. hirsutum) Indian. J. Agric. Sci. 69 (10) 740-742.
- R.A. Meena, D.Monga, V.V. Singh and S. Mahala 2004 Screening of cotton (G.hirsutum and G. arborium) germplasm for economical characters Indian J. of Agric. Sci. 74 (1) 21-23
- R.A. Meena, M.N. Mishra and R.G. Dani (2001). Genetic variability and correlation on seed quality parameters in cotton (G. hirsutum) Indan. J. Agric. Sciences 71 (6) 417-420.
- R.A. Meena,, M.N. Mishra and R.G. Dani (2001) Combining ability analysis for seed quality traits in cotton Seed Res. 29 (2) 161-166.
- R.A. Meena, M.N. Mishra and R.G. Dani (2000) Seed development behavior in upland cotton (G. hirsutum L) Seed Res. 28 (1):80-84.
- R.A. Meena, K. Rathinavel and O.P. Tuteja (1999) Storage potential of tetraploid and diploid cotton under ambient condition Seed Res. 27(1): 125-127.
- R A Meena, D Monga, Rajiv Kumar and Hamid Hassan. 2004. Promising Desi Cotton (G. arboreum L.) Germplasm for Fibre Quality Traits and Locule Retentivity Indian jouranal of plant genetic resource 17 (2): 118-20.
- O.P. Tuteja, D. Monga, S. K. Verma, R.A. Meena, P. Jeyakumar, P. Singh, Sunil Kumar and Mahinder Singh (2005) Shreshth (CSHH 198) ? A quality cotton hybrid for north zone. J. Indian Soc. Cotton Improv. 115-119.
- R A Meena, D Monga, Rajiv Kumar and Hamid Hassan. 2004. Promising Desi Cotton (G. arboreum L.) Germplasm for Fibre Quality Traits and Locule Retentivity. Indian jouranal of plant genetic resource 17 (2): 118-20.
- R.A. Meena, M.N. Mishra and R.G. Dani (2001) Combining ability analysis for seed quality traits in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). Seed Res. 29 (2) 161-166.
- R.A. Meena, D. Monga, O.P. Tuteja and S.K. Verma (2000) Seed quality in cultivars and pickings in cotton. J. Cotton Res. & Dev. 14 (1) 15-18.
- S.K. Verma, V.V. Singh, O.P. Tuteja, D. Monga and R.A. Meena (2000). Range of variability for economic characters in cotton germplasm (G. hirsutum L.). Indian J. Plant Genet. Resour. 13 (3) 234-238.
- S.L. Ahuja, S.K. Verma, O.P. Tuteja, D.Monga and R.A. Meena (2000). Variability and inter relationship studies for yield component in G.arboreum collected from north east hill region and Gujarat. Indian J. Plant Genet. Resourc. 13 (1) 42-45.
- O.P. Tuteja,S.L. Ahuja,T. Gunasheelan, S.K. Banerjee, A.K. Singh,R.G. Dani, R.A. Meena,K.D. Kuranne, M.S. Kairon (1999). Om Shankar (CSSH 29) cotton hybrid for north zone. J. Indian Soc. Cotton Imp. (24) 3:178-181.
- R A Meena, D. Monga and Rajiv Kumar 2006. Undescriptive Cotton Cultivars of North Zone: An Evaluation. J. Cotton Res. & Dev
- R. A. Meena , S. K. Verma, S.L. Ahuja and O.P. Tuteja (2005) CICR-2 A first ever GMS based desi cotton (G. arboreum) hybrid for north zone. J. Indian Soc. Cotton Improv. 112-114.
- R A Meena, D Monga, Rajiv Kumar and Hamid Hasan. 2006. Screening of germplasm for fibre quality traits in American (Gossypium hirsutum) and Desi Cotton (G. arboreum) Indian Journal of plant genetic resources.
- R A Meena, D Monga, Rajiv Kumar and Hamid Hasan. 2006. Screening of germplasm for fibre quality traits in American (Gossypium hirsutum) and Desi Cotton (G. arboreum) Indian Journal of plant genetic resources 19(1) 122-124.
- D. Monga, M. Kumar, S. Chander, N. P. Singh and R A Meena 2008. Identification of cotton leaf curl virus disease (CLCuD) resistant lines. Journal of Cotton Research and Development 22 (2) : 234-237
PAPER PRESENTED/ PARTICIPANT IN SEMINARS / WORKSHOP / SYMPOSIUM
- R.A.Meena (1992).Effect of storage container on seed longivity in cotton (G. hirsutum). IX workshop on seed technological Research on National Seed Peroject held at H.A.U.Hisar from17 to 19th September 1992 (Participiant).
- R.A. Meena and R.K.Deshmukh (1992). Viability and vigour as influenced by storage period in cotton. Workshop on Silver Jublee celebration on All India Coordinated cotton Improvement project held at CICR Regiinal Station, Coimbatore 17-19 Sept,1992, pp50.
- R.A.Meena and O.P.Tuteja (1994). Seed setting potential in nine cultivars of upland cotton under North Zone conditions. Seminar on Cotton Production Challenges in 21st century held at HAU Hisar. (Abstract published).
- R.A. Meena, M.N. Mishra and R.G. Dani (1998). Effect of storage container on seed longevity in cotton (G. hirsutum). X National Seminar on Seed Technology Development challenges for 21st century, held at H.A.U. Hisar on Dec. 17 - 19, 1998.
- R.A.Meena, M.N.Mishra and R. G. Dani (1998). Studies on seed development for quality seed production and maximisation of productivity in upland cotton. National seminar on strategies for improvement of production, productivity and quality of cotton, organised by Directorate of cotton Dev. and Cotton Corporation of India and held at world trade centre, Mumbai on May 4 & 5 1998. (Abstract published).
- O.P. Tuteja, B.K.Senapati, A.K.Singh and R.A.Meena (1994). Combining ability studies for yield and its component in Gossypium hirsutum L. Seminar on cotton production challanges in 21st century held at HAU, Hisar from 18-20 April 1994 (Abstract Published).
- R.A. Meena, O.P. Tuteja and D. Monga (2002). Suitable crossing period for hybrid seed production under North Zone. XI National Seed Seminar on quality seed enhance Agriculture profitability. Held at UAS Dharwad on January 18-20.
- Ramavatar Meena (2001) Kapas me beej banane ki shamata ke liye viapat vishamtaen. : IN national seminar on Pronattisheel kapas utpadan prodhyodiki evam bhavi ranniti. Held at CICR, Nagpur from 10-11 sept. Pp49.
- R.A. Meena, D. Monga, Rajiv Kumar and Veer Singh 2004. Screening of desi cotton (G. arboreum) germplasm for shattering restance. In National symposium on ?Changing world order- otton Research, Development and Policy in context? held at Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Hydrabad. Pp 17
- Attanded AICCIP workshop from 7-04-05 to 9-04-05 held at ARS, Sri ganganagar.
- R.A. Meena, D.Monga and Rajiv Kumar. 2006. Seed yield and seed quality influenced by spacings and foliar application of nutrients in cotton. Abstract published in in savonier of XII National Seed Seminar on Prosperity Through Quality Seed on 24-26 feb. 2006 organized by Indian Society of Seed Technology, New Delhi at ANGRAU, Hydrabad.
- Attended National Workshop of TMC MM 1.5 on ?Recent Advancement in Improvement of Cotton Seed Quality? held at Main Cotton Research Station, NAU, Surat on 29/11/05.
- Attended National Seminar on ?Transgenic Crops in Indian Agriculture: Status, Risk & Acceptance? on 28-29 January, 2006 organized at CCS HAU Hisar by National Society for Plant Science, Hisar.
- Meena, R. A.; Monga, D. and Ghanshyam 2009. Promising desi cotton (G. arboretum L.) germplasm for fibre quality traits and locule retentivity. National Symposium on ?Bt-Cotton: Opportunities and Prospects? Novenber 17-19, 2009. Abstracts. pp. 13
- Meena, R. A.; Monga, D. and Ghanshyam 2009. Promising Desi Cotton (G. arboretum L.) Germplasm for Fibre Quality Traits. National Symposium on Recent Global Development in the Management of Plant Genetic Resources. December 17-18, 2009, NBPGR, New Delhi, India. Souvenir and Abstracts. 271-72.
- R.A. Meena, D. Monga, V.V. Singh, Phundan Singh, and B.M. Khadi (2005) Cotton germplasm bulletin ?I Published by Head, Central Institute for cotton Research, Regional Station, Sirsa
- V.V. Singh, R.A. Meena (2002) Multi location evaluation of cotton genetic resources. Published by Director, Central Institute for cotton research, Nagpur on July, 2003.
- L.S. Randhawa, D. Monga, R. A. Meena, O.P. Tuteja and P.J. Kumar (2000) Hybrid seed production and IPM training programme held on 25th June, 2000 at CICR, RS, Sirsa. Technical Bulletin published by Head CICR Regional Station Sirsa.
- L.S. Randhawa, D. Monga, R. A. Meena, O.P. Tuteja and P.J. Kumar (2000) Biopesticide and Bio Control training programme held on 29-30 July, 2000 at CICR, RS, Sirsa. Technical Bulletin published by Head CICR Regional Station, sirsa.
- R.A. Meena, D. Monga and Ghansyam (2009) Hybrid and varieties seed production under North Zonea. Technical Bulletin in hindi published by Head CICR Regional Station Sirsa.
- L.S. Randhawa, D. Monga, R.A. Meena, O.P. Tuteja and P.J. Kumar (2001) Utter Bharat mai Kapas Uttpadan-Hindi book published by Director, Central Institute for cotton research, Nagpur on March, 2001.
- R.A. Meena , D. Monga, , S.L.Ahuja , O.P. Tuteja and S.K. Verma (2006) Utter Bharat mai Kapas Uttpadan prodhogiki- A Hindi book published by Head, Central Institute for cotton Research, Regional Station, Sirsa.
(i)Cotton Bulletin, Publication from PAU, Ludhiyana
(ii) Kapas Pragati , publication from CICR, Nagpur
- Participated in state consultation committee for formulation of National policy for farmers under National Farmer?s Commission
- Participated in Krishi Expo- 2000 at Pragati Medan, New Delhi for 7 days
HRD programmes :
- The training to officers of state agricultural Dept. under ICDP, TMC II on from March 18 to May 1 2003 on cotton varietal and hybrid seed production.
- National level training on ? Advancement in Cotton Research? from 5th to 6th September 2005 organized by Central Institute for Cotton Research, Regional Station, Sirsa.
- State level training on Varietal and hybrid seed production in cotton under ?cotton production technologies? under TMC MM II Organised by Director of Agri. Haryana from 9th march to 4 April 2006.
- State level training on Varietal and hybrid seed production in cotton under ?cotton production technologies? under TMC MM II Organised by Director of Agri. Haryana from 9 March to 24 March 2007.
- Hybrid seed production training arranged for farmers during 15th August to 30 September every year.
- As incharge Front Line Demonstration from arranged training on cotton hybrid and varietal seed production for farmers and also demonstrated the improved cotton production technologies such as (i) importance of quality seed (ii) selection of suitable cultivar for sowing (iii) Suitable seed treatments (iv) sowing procedures and suitable spacing (v) time of irrigation and fertilizers application (vi) identification of important cotton pest (at egg, larva and adult stage) and need based spray of pesticides for their effective pest management using IPM strategies (vii) Management of cotton diseases (viii) procedure of clean picking for getting higher price ( viii ) method of seed storage for its future use (ix) post harvest management of cotton pest etc. An-interstate Kapas goshit was organised at Sangria in 1998 where Union Minister of State for Agriculture Shri Som Pal Ji Shastri, Director General ICAR and Secretary, DARE Dr. R. S. Paroda, Minister of Agriculture Rajasthan and Punjab and other dignitaries participated. Discussion between Farmers and experts from various ICAR Institute arranged.